Skip to content
The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

Bengaluru’s Leading News Portal

bmc-ad
Primary Menu
  • HOME
  • Bengaluru
  • Karnataka
  • POLITICS
  • CRIME
  • Delhi
  • Kannada News
  • Hindi News
  • MORE NEWS
    • Supreme Court
    • CITY UPDATES
    • PM
    • SPORTS
    • STATE
    • EDUCATION
    • ENTERTAINMENT
    • HEALTH
    • Real Estate
    • SPORTS
    • CORONA
    • MOBILITY/TRANSPORT
    • Horoscope
  • Home
  • Uncategorised
  • WRAPUP 5-Death toll from Ukraine missile strike rises to 40; German defence minister quits
  • Uncategorised

WRAPUP 5-Death toll from Ukraine missile strike rises to 40; German defence minister quits

16 January 2023 5 minutes read
0
đŸ“˜ Read this story in Kannada

WRAPUP 5-Death toll from Ukraine missile strike rises to 40; German defence minister quits

The death toll from a Russian missile strike in the Ukrainian city of Dnipro rose to 40 on Monday, with dozens more missing, making it the deadliest civilian incident of Moscow’s campaign of firing missiles at cities far from the war’s front lines. Kyiv says the mass civilian deaths, which it describes as terrorism, demonstrate why it needs more weapons to defeat Russian forces 11 months after they invaded. Russia denies intentionally targeting civilians.

German Defence Minister Christine Lambrecht resigned on Monday as her government came under rising pressure to let allies send Ukraine heavy tanks, at the start of what is likely to be a pivotal week for Western plans to further arm Kyiv. Ukrainian officials acknowledged little hope of finding anyone else alive in the rubble of Saturday’s attack in Dnipro, but President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said the rescue in the central Ukrainian city would go on “as long as there is even the slightest chance to save lives”.

“Dozens of people were rescued from the rubble, including six children. We are fighting for every person!” Zelenskiy said in an overnight televised address. Dnipro was in mourning on Monday.

A serviceman in uniform laid flowers and sobbed, clutching his head in grief next to an impromptu shrine to the dead at a bus stop across the street from a gaping hole where the apartment block had stood. The missile flattened all nine storeys in a section of the long concrete housing unit. Rescue workers shovelled through debris more than 48 hours after the attack.

“We all live in buildings like this one and we all imagine what if it happened to us. It is awful,” said Polina, 28, a resident of the neighbourhood. Moscow, which for three months has been conducting large scale strikes on Ukrainian cities mainly targeting power generation infrastructure, said it was not to blame for the destruction in Dnipro as it was caused by Ukrainian air defences. Kyiv says the apartment building was hit by a Russian ship-to-ship missile, a type that Ukraine does not have the capability to shoot down.

At least 40 people were killed in the attack with 30 still unaccounted for, city official Gennadiy Korban said. He said 75 people were wounded, including 14 children. TANK TALK

Tens of thousands of people have been killed since Russian troops invaded Ukraine on Feb. 24, and about a quarter of the population have fled their homes. Ukrainian forces recaptured swathes of eastern and southern territory during the second half of 2022. But front lines have largely been frozen in place for the past two months, despite intense fighting in which both sides have taken heavy losses.

Kyiv says a key to breaking the stalemate would be Western battle tanks and armoured vehicles as these would give its forces the capability to break through Russian lines. Western countries have so far stopped short of sending tanks, loath to provoke the Kremlin which claims Ukraine is fighting on behalf of a broader Western plot to destroy Russia.

The tank taboo was finally broken at the weekend by Britain pledging a first squadron of Challengers to Kyiv. But the far more commonly used German-made Leopards are widely seen as the most likely workhorses of a future Ukrainian armoured force, though that would require permits which Berlin has yet to grant.

With U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin due to host allies at an air base in Germany on Friday discussing further aid for Ukraine, the German government said Chancellor Olaf Scholz had accepted the resignation of Lambrecht, his defence minister. Lambrecht had been criticised of late for tone deafness after an upbeat New Year’s message filmed in front of fireworks, in which she spoke of the opportunities she’d had to meet “interesting, great people” as a result of the Ukraine war.

‘DECISIVE ACTIONS’ Germany’s allies – especially eastern European states that were once Soviet satellites under Moscow’s thumb – have been increasingly direct in their demands that Berlin provide Leopards, or at least grant export permits to let them do so.

“I call for decisive actions by the German government,” Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki said on Monday during a visit to Berlin, to applause from a group of lawmakers gathered in the city’s Jewish Museum for a gala. “The battle for freedom and our future is raging as we speak,” Morawiecki said. “Tanks must not be left in storehouses, but placed in their hands.”

Russia calls the war a “special military operation” triggered by Kyiv’s increasingly close ties with the West, which Moscow says imperil its security. Ukraine and Western allies call it an unprovoked invasion to erase the independence of a fellow ex-Soviet republic that Moscow sees as a fake country. The Kremlin has accused the West of escalating the conflict, although Moscow also says the supply of tanks will not affect the course of the war. The British Challenger 2 tanks “will burn like the rest”, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Monday.

Moscow claimed last week to have captured the eastern Ukrainian salt mining town of Soledar, in what would be its biggest battlefield success since last August. Kyiv says it still has some presence in the town and fighting continues. Ukraine’s Western allies say the fight for Soledar, whose pre-war population was barely 10,000, is unlikely to have much wider impact, except insofar as the huge losses there could sap manpower both sides need for decisive battles that lie ahead.

Ukraine has been warning that Russia could be planning a new assault in coming weeks, including from close ally Belarus, which has allowed Russia to use its territory as a staging ground but has so far resisted joining the war directly. Russia and Belarus began joint military aviation exercises on Monday. Minsk said the drills are defensive and it will not enter the war.

(Additional reporting by Lidia Kelly and Dan Peleschuk Writing by Peter Graff and Mark Heinrich; Editing by Frank Jack Daniel and Alex Richardson)

About the Author

View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: In threat, Hamas releases video said to show captive Israeli
Next: Imran Khan hints at returning to Pakistan’s National Assembly

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Stories

  • Uncategorised

Centre of artificial intelligence and machine learning in agriculture to come up in SKUAST-Kashmir

28 January 2024 0
  • Uncategorised

Three US troops killed, up to 34 injured in Jordan drone strike linked to Iran

28 January 2024 0
  • Uncategorised

“Negotiations on seat-sharing will be on state-by-state basis”, Shashi Tharoor

28 January 2024 0

Latest Post

Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages

21 August 2026
Karnataka Cabinet Clears Premature Release of 28 Life Convicts on Good Conduct; 29 Eligible in Total Parappana Agrahara Bangalore Central Jail
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • Government

Karnataka Cabinet Clears Premature Release of 28 Life Convicts on Good Conduct; 29 Eligible in Total

21 August 2026
Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar
  • POLITICS

Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar

21 August 2026
Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools
  • Government
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools

21 August 2026
Varamahalakshmi Festival Celebrated Across Bengaluru; Temples, Homes Decked Up for Special Worship Varamahalakshmi Festival Celebrated Across Bengaluru; Temples, Homes Decked Up for Special Worship
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES

Varamahalakshmi Festival Celebrated Across Bengaluru; Temples, Homes Decked Up for Special Worship

21 August 2026
Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings
  • POLITICS

Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings

21 August 2026

You may have missed

Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages

Satya Prakash Chaubey 21 August 2026
Parappana Agrahara Bangalore Central Jail
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • Government

Karnataka Cabinet Clears Premature Release of 28 Life Convicts on Good Conduct; 29 Eligible in Total

Satya Prakash Chaubey 21 August 2026
Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar
  • POLITICS

Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar

The Bengaluru Live 21 August 2026
Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools
  • Government
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools

The Bengaluru Live 21 August 2026

About us

The Bengaluru Live is one of the local digital media house which is publishing news in English and in Kannada language. We are also one of the largest local news providers on the internet through our news websites.

Useful Links

  • Advertise with us
  • Contact us
  • Privacy Policy

Recent News

  • Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages
  • Karnataka Cabinet Clears Premature Release of 28 Life Convicts on Good Conduct; 29 Eligible in Total
  • Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar
  • Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools
©Copyright 2026 The Bengaluru Live All rights reserved. | MoreNews by AF themes.