Karnataka notifies Greater Bengaluru Local Planning Area; 303 villages and Central Pete carved out of old LPA; RMP-2015 to remain in force until new Master Plan
Bengaluru, May 20: The much-awaited elections to the Greater Bengaluru Authority (GBA), which Bengaluru residents have been waiting for over the last five years, have received a fresh twist after the Supreme Court extended the deadline for conducting the civic polls till August 31.
The elections, which were earlier expected to be held before June 30, have now officially been pushed further following proceedings before the apex court.
During the hearing, the Karnataka government informed the Supreme Court that several administrative and logistical challenges were affecting preparations for the elections.
According to the state governmentâs counsel, election staff are currently engaged in:
- Census-related work
- Revision of electoral rolls
- SSLC and PUC examination duties
The government argued that there was a shortage of manpower and officials required to conduct elections smoothly within the earlier deadline.
Taking these submissions into account, the Supreme Court granted an extension till August 31 for holding the elections.
However, the court made it clear that no further delay would be permitted and directed the Karnataka government and the State Election Commission to immediately begin election preparations.
Greater Bengaluru Elections Delayed Again
The civic polls have remained pending for years despite the transition from BBMP to the newly structured Greater Bengaluru governance model.
Political observers said many had expected elections to be held in June 2026, but the latest court order has now shifted the focus to August.
The Greater Bengaluru Authority, divided into five municipal corporations, is expected to witness one of the biggest civic elections in Karnatakaâs history.
Political Calculations Intensify
Following the Supreme Courtâs order, political activity has intensified behind the scenes, with all major parties beginning preparations for the mega civic battle.
Sources indicated that the ruling Congress government is keen on securing a strong victory in Bengaluru and has reportedly started internal strategising to maximise seat gains across the city.
Political discussions and candidate-level planning are also said to be underway within BJP and JD(S), as parties prepare for a high-stakes urban electoral contest.
Election Process Likely After School Examinations
During earlier court proceedings, the State Election Commission had reportedly informed the court that the final voter list would be published by March 16, 2026.
The Supreme Court had also observed that the election process should ideally begin after completion of school board examinations.
Officials had earlier indicated that election-related procedures could begin officially from May 26, 2026.
Despite those assurances, the government has now secured additional time till August 31.
Massive Administrative Exercise Ahead
The Supreme Courtâs latest deadline is being seen as a major test for both the Karnataka government and the State Election Commission.
Authorities now have to complete:
- Finalisation of electoral rolls
- Staff deployment
- Security arrangements
- Implementation of Model Code of Conduct
- Poll infrastructure preparation
within the next few months.
With no further extension likely from the apex court, preparations for Bengaluruâs long-delayed civic elections are expected to gather pace in the coming weeks.
