Skip to content
The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

Bengaluru’s Leading News Portal

bmc-ad
Primary Menu
  • HOME
  • Bengaluru
  • Karnataka
  • POLITICS
  • CRIME
  • Delhi
  • Kannada News
  • Hindi News
  • MORE NEWS
    • Supreme Court
    • CITY UPDATES
    • PM
    • SPORTS
    • STATE
    • EDUCATION
    • ENTERTAINMENT
    • HEALTH
    • Real Estate
    • SPORTS
    • CORONA
    • MOBILITY/TRANSPORT
    • Horoscope
  • Home
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Sony-Zee merger: Sony says disappointed with Singapore emergency arbitrator’s decision
  • CITY UPDATES
  • STATE

Sony-Zee merger: Sony says disappointed with Singapore emergency arbitrator’s decision

5 February 2024 3 minutes read
0
Sony-Zee merger: Sony says disappointed with Singapore emergency arbitrator’s decision

Sony-Zee merger: Sony says disappointed with Singapore emergency arbitrator’s decision

đŸ“˜ Read this story in Kannada

New Delhi: Sony on Monday said it is “disappointed” with the Singapore tribunal’s emergency arbitrator’s decision rejecting its plea to restrain Zee from approaching NCLT and asserted that it will “vigorously arbitrate” the matter in the international tribunal.

An emergency arbitrator of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) rejected a plea of Culver Max and BEPL (Bangla Entertainment Pvt Ltd) seeking an order to restrain Zee Entertainment Enterprise Ltd (ZEEL) from approaching any corporate dispute tribunal or NCLT from enforcing the merger that was called off by the Japanese media company’s Indian arm.

SIAC on Sunday rejected the plea, citing a lack of its jurisdiction.

Sony Pictures Entertainment in a statement on Monday said, the company remains confident in the merits of the matter and pursues Sony Pictures Network India’s (now Culver Max) right to terminate the merger agreement and seek damages from Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd (ZEEL).

“We are disappointed in the decision by the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC). This decision is only a procedural one, ruling only as to whether Zee Entertainment would be permitted to pursue its application with the NCLT,” it said.

It further said: “We will continue to vigorously arbitrate the matter in Singapore in front of a full SIAC tribunal and pursue SPNI’s right to terminate the merger agreement and seek a termination fee and other remedies. We remain confident in the merits of our position in both Singapore and India.” Sony Pictures Networks India (SPNI) is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation which owns and operates the Sony Entertainment network of television channels. It also owns Sony Pictures Network India.

“We wish to inform that the Emergency Arbitrator has passed an award dated February 4, 2024, denying the application for emergency interim relief filed by Culver Max and BEPL and has determined that the Emergency Arbitrator has no jurisdiction or authority to injunct the Company from approaching the NCLT to implement the Merger Scheme since these are matters which fall within the statutory system and are for the NCLT to decide,” ZEEL had said in a regulatory filing on Sunday while updating the development.

Sony had last month terminated the agreement with ZEEL to merge its two Indian entities — Culver Max Entertainment (earlier known as Sony Pictures Network India) and BEPL– with the Indian media company.

Sony Group Corporation (SGC) had said ZEEL failed to satisfy merger conditions and also initiated arbitration proceedings before SIAC claiming USD 90 million (around Rs 748.5 crore) as a termination fee.

On the other hand, ZEEL filed a petition before the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT), seeking a direction for Sony group to implement the merger.

ZEEL also initiated legal actions to contest the claims of USD 90 million filed by Sony Group before SIAC.

The Mumbai bench of NCLT on August 10, 2023, approved the scheme of merger of ZEEL with Sony group entities Culver Max Entertainment and BEPL, which could have created a USD 10 billion media entity.

If the Sony-Zee merger was completed, the combined entity would have owned over 70 TV channels, two video streaming services — ZEE5 and Sony LIV — and two film studios — Zee Studios and Sony Pictures Films India — making it the largest entertainment network in the country.

About the Author

View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: SC stays ex-IPS officer’s sentence in Dhoni’s contempt plea
Next: Bill to tackle exam malpractices introduced in Lok Sabha

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Stories

Hoskote Police Move to Stop 4 AM Biryani Service, Direct Hotels to Open at 6 AM
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • CRIME

Hoskote Police Move to Stop 4 AM Biryani Service, Direct Hotels to Open at 6 AM

The Bengaluru Live 23 August 2026
Varamahalakshmi Festival Celebrated Across Bengaluru; Temples, Homes Decked Up for Special Worship
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES

Varamahalakshmi Festival Celebrated Across Bengaluru; Temples, Homes Decked Up for Special Worship

Satya Prakash Chaubey 21 August 2026
Karnataka to Prepare Coastal-Malnad Tourism Policy Draft by September 7: K.J. George
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Government

Karnataka to Prepare Coastal-Malnad Tourism Policy Draft by September 7: K.J. George

The Bengaluru Live 21 August 2026

Latest Post

Hoskote Police Move to Stop 4 AM Biryani Service, Direct Hotels to Open at 6 AM Hoskote Police Move to Stop 4 AM Biryani Service, Direct Hotels to Open at 6 AM
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • CRIME

Hoskote Police Move to Stop 4 AM Biryani Service, Direct Hotels to Open at 6 AM

23 August 2026
Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages

21 August 2026
Karnataka Cabinet Clears Premature Release of 28 Life Convicts on Good Conduct; 29 Eligible in Total Parappana Agrahara Bangalore Central Jail
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • Government

Karnataka Cabinet Clears Premature Release of 28 Life Convicts on Good Conduct; 29 Eligible in Total

21 August 2026
Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar
  • POLITICS

Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar

21 August 2026
Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools
  • Government
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools

21 August 2026
Varamahalakshmi Festival Celebrated Across Bengaluru; Temples, Homes Decked Up for Special Worship Varamahalakshmi Festival Celebrated Across Bengaluru; Temples, Homes Decked Up for Special Worship
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES

Varamahalakshmi Festival Celebrated Across Bengaluru; Temples, Homes Decked Up for Special Worship

21 August 2026

You may have missed

Hoskote Police Move to Stop 4 AM Biryani Service, Direct Hotels to Open at 6 AM
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • CRIME

Hoskote Police Move to Stop 4 AM Biryani Service, Direct Hotels to Open at 6 AM

The Bengaluru Live 23 August 2026
Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages

Satya Prakash Chaubey 21 August 2026
Parappana Agrahara Bangalore Central Jail
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • Government

Karnataka Cabinet Clears Premature Release of 28 Life Convicts on Good Conduct; 29 Eligible in Total

Satya Prakash Chaubey 21 August 2026
Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar
  • POLITICS

Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar

The Bengaluru Live 21 August 2026

About us

The Bengaluru Live is one of the local digital media house which is publishing news in English and in Kannada language. We are also one of the largest local news providers on the internet through our news websites.

Useful Links

  • Advertise with us
  • Contact us
  • Privacy Policy

Recent News

  • Hoskote Police Move to Stop 4 AM Biryani Service, Direct Hotels to Open at 6 AM
  • Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages
  • Karnataka Cabinet Clears Premature Release of 28 Life Convicts on Good Conduct; 29 Eligible in Total
  • Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar
©Copyright 2026 The Bengaluru Live All rights reserved. | MoreNews by AF themes.