Home CORONA P650, Begur cop, is now negative

P650, Begur cop, is now negative


Minister says mix-up happened because 2 referral forms had the same name but different mobile number


After conducting 3 tests in the last 3 days, the Karnataka government has clarified that the policeman, listed as P650, who was earlier found Covid-19 positive does not have any symptoms. He was given a clean chit on Thursday evening after a third report came negative.

The confusion arose after two patients with the same name but different mobile numbers were tested at the designated hospital.

As per a circular issued by the police commissioner on April 24, the staff of the Begur police station were asked to visit the Jayanagar hospital to get a Covid-9 test done.

On May 1, two forms were filled in the same name and address but with different mobile numbers. On May 4, a positive report was received from Nimhans and was communicated to the epidemiologist, Bengaluru Urban.  As per this report, the person was contacted on the mobile number and informed he was positive. But the person said that the number did not belong to him but to P650.

The circle inspector of Begur police station also confirmed that the number given by the other person belonged to P650, who was the only person of that name in the police station.

Subsequently, P650 was shifted to a Covid19 hospital.  “This shouldn’t have happened. I can understand what P650 would have felt when he was informed about the positive report,” S Suresh Kumar, Education Minister and Covid spokesperson, said during a presser.

The minister said, “On verification of the documents, it is seen that in the list of police personnel provided to the Jayanagar general hospital, there were two policemen with the same mobile number. The two ICMR specimen referral forms filled at the Jayanagar hospital had the same name but different mobile numbers. The samples of both policemen were taken. Once P650 was shifted to the designated hospital, the other person was isolated. The negative report of the other person was received on May 5. Due to the same name being entered twice, the confusion was created regarding the positive patient.  Hence, repeat samples were taken of both. Remedial action will been initiated once the final confirmatory reports are received from the labs.  As of now, both persons are facility-isolated. Disciplinary action will be initiated against the officials responsible for the confusion.”

Source: Karnataka Health and Family Welfare Department


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here