Skip to content
The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

Bengaluru’s Leading News Portal

bmc-ad
Primary Menu
  • HOME
  • Bengaluru
  • Karnataka
  • POLITICS
  • CRIME
  • Delhi
  • Kannada News
  • Hindi News
  • MORE NEWS
    • Supreme Court
    • CITY UPDATES
    • PM
    • SPORTS
    • STATE
    • EDUCATION
    • ENTERTAINMENT
    • HEALTH
    • Real Estate
    • SPORTS
    • CORONA
    • MOBILITY/TRANSPORT
    • Horoscope
  • Home
  • CITY UPDATES
  • BJP demands CBI probe into Delhi drain desilting ‘scam’, AAP blames officers
  • CITY UPDATES
  • STATE

BJP demands CBI probe into Delhi drain desilting ‘scam’, AAP blames officers

1 August 2024 3 minutes read
0
đŸ“˜ Read this story in Kannada

New Delhi, Aug 1 (PTI) The BJP on Thursday alleged a “scam of hundreds of crores of rupees” in drain desilting work in Delhi by the AAP-led government’s agencies and demanded a CBI probe into it.

The BJP’s Delhi unit president Virendra Sachdeva said, “Corruption and loot of the AAP-led Delhi government and the MCD (Municipal Corporation of Delhi) are responsible for the deaths of three civil services aspirants in a flooded basement library of a coaching centre in Old Rajinder Nagar and other rain-related incidents in the city”.

In response, AAP said the questions the BJP was asking were old and added that it was Urban Development Minister Saurabh Bharadwaj who had pressed for a third-party audit of the desilting work.

The minister directed Chief Secretary Naresh Kumar in May to provide a list of drains that had been desilted for verification, AAP said in a statement.

Sachdeva said that in 2022-23, the Delhi government’s irrigation and flood control and public works departments removed three lakh metric ton and two lakh metric ton silt from drains, respectively.

The MCD and the Delhi Jal Board removed two lakh metric ton and 40,000 metric ton silt, respectively, during that period.

“By this estimate, in 2024, these agencies should have lifted around 8-9 lakh metric ton silt from the drains. I want to ask Delhi ministers Atishi, Saurabh Bharadwaj and Mayor Shelly Oberoi if the drains were desilted this year and where the removed silt went,” Sachdeva said.

He claimed that there was no record of trucks carrying silt removed from the drains reaching Singhola in Narela where it is dumped or the city’s three landfill sites.

“There is a scam of hundreds of crores of rupees in the drain desilting exercise,” he alleged and demanded a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into it.

The entire city is in a “mess” due to this “loot” of crores of rupees, he charged.

Strict action needs to be taken against officials concerned and the role of the AAP dispensation should also be looked at, the Delhi BJP president said.

Responding to the allegations, AAP said that despite a reminder from Bharadwaj on June 5, the chief secretary did not send the list of the desilted drains.

The ruling party alleged that Kumar, the chief secretary, was close to the BJP and made a number of excuses to avoid sharing the list.

“This also means that the chief secretary had an idea that desilting was not happening on the ground,” it claimed.

AAP said that Bhardwaj, during a June meeting of all agencies responsible for desilting, had said most of the work was done only on paper and called for a third-party audit.

Delhi High Court had formed the Integrated Drain Management Cell, headed by the chief secretary, and categorically directed that these efforts should be verified through a third-party audit, it added.

“Since, the chief secretary is exposed and this matter is in the public domain, the BJP is trying to shift the blame on the government, ” AAP alleged.

Kumar, in a note to Bharadwaj on Wednesday, informed that the irrigation and flood control department principal secretary had been directed to submit a factual note on the third-party audit.

All the agencies concerned with desilting of drains were also directed not to make payments to contractors till the audit, Kumar had said in the note. PTI VIT SZM

About the Author

View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: Will donate Rs 3 crore for library in memory of 3 students: AAP MP Sanjay Singh to UPSC aspirants
Next: Sindhu loses in pre-quarterfinals at Paris Olympics

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Stories

Scan a QR Code to Flag Unsafe Food, Expired Drugs: Karnataka Launches Digital Complaint System
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Scan a QR Code to Flag Unsafe Food, Expired Drugs: Karnataka Launches Digital Complaint System

Atul Chaturvedi 17 August 2026
Bengaluru East City Corporation Orders 7-Day Inspection Drive at PGs, Hotels, Restaurants and Hostels
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Bengaluru

Bengaluru East City Corporation Orders 7-Day Inspection Drive at PGs, Hotels, Restaurants and Hostels

The Bengaluru Live 16 August 2026
Around 20 Tonnes of Waste Cleared After Bengaluru’s ‘Freedom Habba’ at Vidhana Soudha
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES

Around 20 Tonnes of Waste Cleared After Bengaluru’s ‘Freedom Habba’ at Vidhana Soudha

The Bengaluru Live 16 August 2026

Latest Post

Scan a QR Code to Flag Unsafe Food, Expired Drugs: Karnataka Launches Digital Complaint System Scan a QR Code to Flag Unsafe Food, Expired Drugs: Karnataka Launches Digital Complaint System
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Scan a QR Code to Flag Unsafe Food, Expired Drugs: Karnataka Launches Digital Complaint System

17 August 2026
JD(S) Leader Gottigere Manjanna Arrested for Allegedly Assaulting Bengaluru Traffic Constable JD(S) Leader Gottigere Manjanna Arrested for Allegedly Assaulting Bengaluru Traffic Constable
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • POLITICS

JD(S) Leader Gottigere Manjanna Arrested for Allegedly Assaulting Bengaluru Traffic Constable

17 August 2026
Bengaluru East City Corporation Orders 7-Day Inspection Drive at PGs, Hotels, Restaurants and Hostels Bengaluru East City Corporation Orders 7-Day Inspection Drive at PGs, Hotels, Restaurants and Hostels
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Bengaluru

Bengaluru East City Corporation Orders 7-Day Inspection Drive at PGs, Hotels, Restaurants and Hostels

16 August 2026
Around 20 Tonnes of Waste Cleared After Bengaluru’s ‘Freedom Habba’ at Vidhana Soudha Around 20 Tonnes of Waste Cleared After Bengaluru’s ‘Freedom Habba’ at Vidhana Soudha
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES

Around 20 Tonnes of Waste Cleared After Bengaluru’s ‘Freedom Habba’ at Vidhana Soudha

16 August 2026
H D Kumaraswamy Seeks Cancellation of NICE Framework Agreement, Flags Land and Toll Road Violations in BMICP H D Kumaraswamy Seeks Cancellation of NICE Framework Agreement, Flags Land and Toll Road Violations in BMICP
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • POLITICS

H D Kumaraswamy Seeks Cancellation of NICE Framework Agreement, Flags Land and Toll Road Violations in BMICP

16 August 2026
Bengaluru Police Commissionerate to Be Split Into Five Units, Traffic Coordination to Be Strengthened: D.K. Shivakumar Bengaluru Police Commissionerate to Be Split Into Five Units, Traffic Coordination to Be Strengthened: D.K. Shivakumar
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES

Bengaluru Police Commissionerate to Be Split Into Five Units, Traffic Coordination to Be Strengthened: D.K. Shivakumar

15 August 2026

You may have missed

Scan a QR Code to Flag Unsafe Food, Expired Drugs: Karnataka Launches Digital Complaint System
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Scan a QR Code to Flag Unsafe Food, Expired Drugs: Karnataka Launches Digital Complaint System

Atul Chaturvedi 17 August 2026
JD(S) Leader Gottigere Manjanna Arrested for Allegedly Assaulting Bengaluru Traffic Constable
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • POLITICS

JD(S) Leader Gottigere Manjanna Arrested for Allegedly Assaulting Bengaluru Traffic Constable

The Bengaluru Live 17 August 2026
Bengaluru East City Corporation Orders 7-Day Inspection Drive at PGs, Hotels, Restaurants and Hostels
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Bengaluru

Bengaluru East City Corporation Orders 7-Day Inspection Drive at PGs, Hotels, Restaurants and Hostels

The Bengaluru Live 16 August 2026
Around 20 Tonnes of Waste Cleared After Bengaluru’s ‘Freedom Habba’ at Vidhana Soudha
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES

Around 20 Tonnes of Waste Cleared After Bengaluru’s ‘Freedom Habba’ at Vidhana Soudha

The Bengaluru Live 16 August 2026

About us

The Bengaluru Live is one of the local digital media house which is publishing news in English and in Kannada language. We are also one of the largest local news providers on the internet through our news websites.

Useful Links

  • Advertise with us
  • Contact us
  • Privacy Policy

Recent News

  • Scan a QR Code to Flag Unsafe Food, Expired Drugs: Karnataka Launches Digital Complaint System
  • JD(S) Leader Gottigere Manjanna Arrested for Allegedly Assaulting Bengaluru Traffic Constable
  • Bengaluru East City Corporation Orders 7-Day Inspection Drive at PGs, Hotels, Restaurants and Hostels
  • Around 20 Tonnes of Waste Cleared After Bengaluru’s ‘Freedom Habba’ at Vidhana Soudha
©Copyright 2026 The Bengaluru Live All rights reserved. | MoreNews by AF themes.