Skip to content
The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

Bengaluru’s Leading News Portal

bmc-ad
Primary Menu
  • HOME
  • Bengaluru
  • Karnataka
  • POLITICS
  • CRIME
  • Delhi
  • Kannada News
  • Hindi News
  • MORE NEWS
    • Supreme Court
    • CITY UPDATES
    • PM
    • SPORTS
    • STATE
    • EDUCATION
    • ENTERTAINMENT
    • HEALTH
    • Real Estate
    • SPORTS
    • CORONA
    • MOBILITY/TRANSPORT
    • Horoscope
  • Home
  • CITY UPDATES
  • 100 hours after Surya’s exposé, BBMP’s Covid bed allotment revamped
  • CORONA
  • CITY UPDATES

100 hours after Surya’s exposé, BBMP’s Covid bed allotment revamped

Atul Chaturvedi 10 May 2021 4 minutes read
0
100 hours after Surya’s exposé, BBMP’s Covid bed allotment revamped

100 hours after Surya’s exposé, BBMP’s Covid bed allotment revamped

📘 Read this story in Kannada

New system will send SMS to patient, show name of allotting officer, and unblock beds that are not occupied within 4 hours

BENGALURU:

Approximately 100 hours after Tejasvi Surya exposed the Covid bed allotment scam, the Bengaluru South MP initiated four major changes in the system. Among them, the name of the officer allotting the bed will reflect in the system, while the patient will directly receive a text SMS once the booking is confirmed.

The BJP’s Youth National Wing president claimed that the new system will remove the earlier loopholes and make the system more transparent and amenable for common citizens who do not have access to influential people like MLAs, MPs, or IAS and IPS officers to get a bed allotted.

Addressing a 47-minute presser on Monday evening, Surya said BBMP’s booking portal did not have transparency and cited the example of one person who had booked beds in multiple hospitals. “This was a big scam and touts were collecting Rs 60,000 to Rs 1 lakh from patients’ attenders to provide a bed under BBMP’s government quota allotment,” he said.

Surya said, “I along with MLAs M Satish Reddy, Ravi Subramanya and Uday Garudachar met Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa and explained the issue in detail. Later, on the CM’s directions, the matter was referred to the CCB and a few arrests were made.”

The Karnataka High Court and the Lokayukta have taken up the issue suo motu and have asked for a detailed report, he said.

Help from Infosys

Surya said, “During our meeting with the Chief Minister, he directed us to come up with a remedy. As per the CM’s directions, I spoke to IT czar Nandan Nilekani and he provided a few software architects from Infosys. The Infosys staff along with e-governance and BBMP officials started working on the issue. And in the last 100 hours, war room in-charge Arvind Limbavali also directed officials to set up a transparent bed allotment process which is now in place.”

“I am happy to say that we have brought about many changes in BBMP’s bed allotment system. This will remove touts and the common man will be directly able to book beds,” Surya said.

Accountability

The new system will provide details of the officer or doctor on whose recommendation beds are booked. It will also have details of the computer system from which a bed is booked, and the person who has booked it.

Auto-generated SMS

Under the new system, in place since Sunday, patients will receive an SMS once a bed is booked. (This system was not adopted earlier and a screenshot of the booking was shared on WhatsApp.) The same message will be sent to the nodal officer of the hospital – this will save time in patients getting admitted as hospital managements were earlier denying that beds had been booked in the system.

4-hour window

Earlier, once the bed allotment was made, the patient had as much as 10 to 12 hours to occupy the bed. Now, the patient has to occupy the bed within 4 hours, after which the bed is unblocked.

No manual unblocking

Earlier, beds were blocked even in the name of a deceased person and these were manually unblocked and realloted. Now, manual unblocking has been removed from the system.

Further changes

Surya said that the common citizen will be able to see the real-time position on the portal, similar to the railway’s booking system where people can see the real-time change in their booking status.

He also said that a person in home isolation will not be able to avail of a bed under the new system till he gets a certificate recommending hospitalisation from a doctor. The queue system will cover general beds as well as HDU, oxygen and ventilator beds.

Congress ‘twist’

“Our aim was not to target any person. We wanted to bring changes in the system. But Congress and other political leaders tried to give a communal colour to our efforts,” Surya said.

Surya thanked BBMP Chief Commissioner Gaurav Gupta and IAS officers Tushar Giri Nath, V Ponnuraj, D Randeep and Kumar Pushkar for their assistance in working out the new system.

About the Author

Atul Chaturvedi

Administrator

Atul Chaturvedi boasts over 25 years of experience in the media industry, having held positions at esteemed organizations such as Republic TV, Times Network's Mirror Now News Channel, Times of India, Bangalore Mirror, Rajasthan Patrika Hindi newspaper, and Sakal newspaper.

View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: Meeting with Amit Shah not about change of leadership: Karnataka Home Minister
Next: COVID-19: Karnataka logs 39,305 fresh cases, 596 death

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Stories

Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
Karnataka Postal Circle Provides Doorstep Aadhaar Update Service to 87-Year-Old Woman in Altadi Village
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Karnataka

Karnataka Postal Circle Provides Doorstep Aadhaar Update Service to 87-Year-Old Woman in Altadi Village

The Bengaluru Live 19 August 2026

Latest Post

Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers
  • Government
  • Bengaluru
  • EDUCATION

Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers

20 August 2026
Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh

20 August 2026
Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State

20 August 2026
KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George
  • Government
  • Bengaluru

KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George

19 August 2026
Karnataka FDA Busts Unlicensed Drug Repacking Unit Near Bidadi, Seizes ₹4.91 Crore Stock HQEaQ_GaAAAWIOr
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • HEALTH

Karnataka FDA Busts Unlicensed Drug Repacking Unit Near Bidadi, Seizes ₹4.91 Crore Stock

19 August 2026
Former Karnataka Education Minister B.C. Nagesh Dies at 65 in Bengaluru Former Karnataka Education Minister B.C. Nagesh Dies at 65 in Bengaluru
  • POLITICS

Former Karnataka Education Minister B.C. Nagesh Dies at 65 in Bengaluru

19 August 2026

You may have missed

Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers
  • Government
  • Bengaluru
  • EDUCATION

Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George
  • Government
  • Bengaluru

KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George

The Bengaluru Live 19 August 2026

About us

The Bengaluru Live is one of the local digital media house which is publishing news in English and in Kannada language. We are also one of the largest local news providers on the internet through our news websites.

Useful Links

  • Advertise with us
  • Contact us
  • Privacy Policy

Recent News

  • Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers
  • Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh
  • Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State
  • KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George
©Copyright 2026 The Bengaluru Live All rights reserved. | MoreNews by AF themes.