Skip to content
The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

Bengaluru’s Leading News Portal

bmc-ad
Primary Menu
  • HOME
  • Bengaluru
  • Karnataka
  • POLITICS
  • CRIME
  • Delhi
  • Kannada News
  • Hindi News
  • MORE NEWS
    • Supreme Court
    • CITY UPDATES
    • PM
    • SPORTS
    • STATE
    • EDUCATION
    • ENTERTAINMENT
    • HEALTH
    • Real Estate
    • SPORTS
    • CORONA
    • MOBILITY/TRANSPORT
    • Horoscope
  • Home
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Shivaji-linked fort turns battleground as mob targets police during anti-encroachment drive
  • CITY UPDATES
  • STATE

Shivaji-linked fort turns battleground as mob targets police during anti-encroachment drive

16 July 2024 3 minutes read
0
đŸ“˜ Read this story in Kannada

Kolhapur/Mumbai, Jul 15 (PTI) The anti-encroachment drive at Vishalgad Fort in Maharashtra’s Kolhapur district turned violent as a mob hurled stones at police personnel and damaged properties, leading to the registration of cases against 500 people and the arrest of 21 others, police said on Monday.

The Kolhapur district collector said 70 encroachments were removed at the medieval-era structure, one of most significant forts of the Maratha empire during the reign of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, on Monday.

Violence erupted on Sunday after some right-wing activists led by Maratha royal and former MP Sambhajiraje Chhatrapati, who had come from Pune, were stopped at the base of the fort in view of prohibitory orders.

“Police personnel deputed at the fort to maintain law and order were injured as miscreants hurled stones and damaged public property following protests by the right-wing organisation. We have received reports of arson,” an official said.

Police have registered four cases against more than 500 people, including political leaders, and arrested 21 people, the official said, adding a search is on for others.

The anti-encroachment drive resumed on Monday amid tight security in the presence of district administration officials.

The district administration razed 70 encroachments which stood at Vishalgad Fort, collector Amol Yedge said.

The anti-encroachment drive was conducted between 11 am and 6 pm in the presence of revenue and PWD officials, the collector said.

A large number of police personnel, including officers, were deployed to avoid any untoward incident and the drive will continue on Tuesday, another official said.

Chhatrapati Sambhajiraje, who led the march on Sunday, had demanded that all encroachments be removed irrespective of the caste and religion of illegal occupants.

Prohibitory orders have been issued under relevant sections of the Maharashtra Police Act 1951 from July 15 to July 29 at the fort.

The fort holds profound significance in Maratha history as Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj escaped to it after being besieged at Panhala Fort in 1660. In 1844, Vishalgad was ruled by the Kolhapur State when a rebellion was led against a Brahmin regent who had been installed by the British when the natural heir to the throne was underage.

Meanwhile, the violence prompted the Opposition to target the Shiv Sena-led Mahayuti government and wonder whether the “jungle raj” is prevailing in the state.

Leader of the opposition in the state legislative council Ambadas Danve said Maratha royal Sambhajiraje Chhatrapati was also booked for leading the march to the fort.

“I had visited Vishalgad fort twice and seen encroachments. Sambhajiraje had only asked the state government to remove encroachments, however, instead of taking action, an offence was registered against him,” Danve, who belongs to Shiv Sena (UBT), told reporters in Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar.

“Is the government protecting these encroachments?” he asked.

Former All India Majlis E Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) MP Imtiaz Jaleel criticised Sambhajiraje Chhatrapati, ex-Rajya Sabha member and heir to Kolhapur royal family, for leading the march to the fort.

“You could go to Delhi because Muslims had voted for you. We used to respect you but since you led the violent protest at Vishalgad fort, we wonder whether you are truly a descendant of Shahu Maharaj,” he said.

Jaleel alleged legal procedure was not adhered to while implementing the anti-encroachment drive and homes of people were vandalised and vehicles burnt down by miscreants. “Is jungle raj prevailing in Maharashtra?” he questioned. PTI DC AW COR NSK RSY

About the Author

View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: India conveys displeasure to Kyiv over Zelenskyy’s criticism of PM Modi’s visit to Moscow
Next: Anarchy cannot be accepted in the name of religious events: Adityanath

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Stories

Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
Karnataka Postal Circle Provides Doorstep Aadhaar Update Service to 87-Year-Old Woman in Altadi Village
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Karnataka

Karnataka Postal Circle Provides Doorstep Aadhaar Update Service to 87-Year-Old Woman in Altadi Village

The Bengaluru Live 19 August 2026

Latest Post

Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers
  • Government
  • Bengaluru
  • EDUCATION

Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers

20 August 2026
Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh

20 August 2026
Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State

20 August 2026
KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George
  • Government
  • Bengaluru

KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George

19 August 2026
Karnataka FDA Busts Unlicensed Drug Repacking Unit Near Bidadi, Seizes ₹4.91 Crore Stock HQEaQ_GaAAAWIOr
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • HEALTH

Karnataka FDA Busts Unlicensed Drug Repacking Unit Near Bidadi, Seizes ₹4.91 Crore Stock

19 August 2026
Former Karnataka Education Minister B.C. Nagesh Dies at 65 in Bengaluru Former Karnataka Education Minister B.C. Nagesh Dies at 65 in Bengaluru
  • POLITICS

Former Karnataka Education Minister B.C. Nagesh Dies at 65 in Bengaluru

19 August 2026

You may have missed

Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers
  • Government
  • Bengaluru
  • EDUCATION

Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George
  • Government
  • Bengaluru

KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George

The Bengaluru Live 19 August 2026

About us

The Bengaluru Live is one of the local digital media house which is publishing news in English and in Kannada language. We are also one of the largest local news providers on the internet through our news websites.

Useful Links

  • Advertise with us
  • Contact us
  • Privacy Policy

Recent News

  • Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers
  • Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh
  • Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State
  • KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George
©Copyright 2026 The Bengaluru Live All rights reserved. | MoreNews by AF themes.