Skip to content
The bengaluru live

The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

It's Your Voice

BWSSB 5
Primary Menu
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • STATE
  • CITY UPDATES
  • CRIME
  • SPORTS
  • Supreme Court
  • PM
  • MORE NEWS
    • EDUCATION
    • ENTERTAINMENT
    • HEALTH
    • Real Estate
    • SPORTS
    • CORONA
    • MOBILITY/TRANSPORT
    • Horoscope
  • Delhi
  • Home
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Para-shuttler Manasi flays Harbhajan, Raina, Yuvraj for allegedly insensitive video
  • CITY UPDATES
  • STATE

Para-shuttler Manasi flays Harbhajan, Raina, Yuvraj for allegedly insensitive video

15 July 2024 4 minutes read
0
📘 Read this story in Kannada

New Delhi, Jul 15 (PTI) World Championship gold-medallist para shuttler Manasi Joshi on Monday strongly criticised former Indian cricketers Harbhajan Singh and Suresh Raina for allegedly mocking people with disabilities saying that the now deleted video uploaded on Instagram set a very bad precedent.

A police complaint has also been filed against the three former cricketers.

The deleted instagram video had Harbhajan, Raina and Yuvraj Singh limping and holding their backs to show the physical toll their bodies had taken during the World Championship of Legends held recently in England. All are retired cricketers.

The former cricketers shared the video after India Champions beat Pakistan Champions by five wickets in the final of the tournament.

“Body ki Tauba Tauba ho Gayi in 15 days legends cricket… Every part of the body is sore. Straight competition to our brothers @vickykaushal09 @karanaujla our version of Tauba Tauba dance. What a SONG,” the caption of the video read.

Manasi, the 2019 World Championship gold-medallist para shuttler in 2019 and silver-medallist at the Hangzhou Asian Games in doubles, posted an Insta story saying, “You don’t know how much harm your behaviour can do and the appreciation you are getting from the people around, it’s appalling to see,” wrote Manasi, 35.

“Wanted more responsibility from stars that you all are, please do not mock at the gait patterns of people with disabilities. This isn’t fully,” said the athlete, whose leg was amputated following a road accident in 2011.

“This reel of yours is going to encourage that it is ok to make fun of walking patterns of people with disabilities for a few laughs. More young children with disabilities will be bullied by using this reel,” she added.

Following an uproar over the video, Harbhajan Singh posted a clarification on ‘X’, saying there was no intention to insult anyone.

The head of Differently Abled Cricket Council of India (DCCI) Ravi Chauhan feels that the cricketers did the right thing by removing the post.

“I had myself spoken to Bhajji paaji after the video was uploaded and told him about possible consequences,” Chauhan, a former differently abled cricketer turned administrator told PTI.

“Harbhajan understood the seriousness and kept his promise by deleting the video. I know him and understand that there was no intention to mock any physically challenged person but in this day and age of social media, it would always become sensitive issue,” Chauhan said.

Earlier in the day, a complaint has been lodged by Arman Ali, the executive director of the National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP), with the SHO of the Amar Colony police station here.

Besides the cricketers, the complaint has also been filed against Sandhya Devanathan, the vice president and managing director of Meta India.

In the complaint, social media platform Instagram, which is owned by Meta, has been accused of violating the Information Technology Act, 2000, by allowing such content to be posted.

A police officer said the complaint was received at the Amar Colony police station and it will be shared with the cyber cell of the district for further probe into the matter.

“If any of you athletes would have done responsible community service in disability space area, you all would not have come up with this reel. A am scared how the PR agencies of these athletes approved this reel for public platform.

“I’m really disappointed in you @harbhajan3, @sureshraina3 and all the people who in comments section who are appropriating this reel,” she added. PTI AM Disability activists have found the video to be in poor taste. The National Platform for the Rights of the Disabled called the video “totally disgraceful”.

In a post on ‘X’, Harbhajan Singh said, “Just wanted to clear to our people who are complaining about our recent videos of ‘Tauba Tauba’ on social media after winning the championship here in England. We didn’t want to hurt anyone’s sentiments. We respect every individual and community and this video was just to reflect to our bodies after playing continuous cricket for 15 days.

“SORE bodies.. we are not trying to insult or offend anyone… still if people think we have done something wrong.. all I can say from my side SORRY to everyone… please let’s stop this here and move forward. Stay happy and healthy (sic),” he said in the post. PTI AM UZM AM KHS KHS

About the Author

View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: Serum Institute of India’s new ‘high efficacy’ malaria vaccine rolls out in Africa
Next: Wild animal injures 5-year-old child in Haryana’s Ambala

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Stories

Fuel Prices Hiked Again for Third Consecutive Day; Petrol, Diesel Near ₹1/L Increase
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES

Fuel Prices Hiked Again for Third Consecutive Day; Petrol, Diesel Near ₹1/L Increase

Satya Prakash Chaubey 23 May 2026
Pramod Muthalik Claims ‘Love Jihad’ Growing Like a Virus, Announces Trishul Deeksha Event in Hubballi
  • CITY UPDATES

Pramod Muthalik Claims ‘Love Jihad’ Growing Like a Virus, Announces Trishul Deeksha Event in Hubballi

The Bengaluru Live 21 May 2026
Heavy Rain, Hailstorm Lash Bengaluru; Traffic Chaos and Tree Falls Reported Across City
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Bengaluru

Heavy Rain, Hailstorm Lash Bengaluru; Traffic Chaos and Tree Falls Reported Across City

Satya Prakash Chaubey 21 May 2026

Latest Post

International Cricket Stadium in Bengaluru Will Be Congress Government’s Major Gift to the City: D.K. Shivakumar International Cricket Stadium in Bengaluru Will Be Congress Government’s Major Gift to the City: D.K. Shivakumar
  • Bengaluru
  • SPORTS

International Cricket Stadium in Bengaluru Will Be Congress Government’s Major Gift to the City: D.K. Shivakumar

23 May 2026
CM Siddaramaiah Lays Foundation Stone for International Cricket Stadium at Suryanagar CM Siddaramaiah Lays Foundation Stone for International Cricket Stadium at Suryanagar
  • Bengaluru
  • SPORTS

CM Siddaramaiah Lays Foundation Stone for International Cricket Stadium at Suryanagar

23 May 2026
Fuel Prices Hiked Again for Third Consecutive Day; Petrol, Diesel Near ₹1/L Increase Fuel Prices Hiked Again for Third Consecutive Day; Petrol, Diesel Near ₹1/L Increase
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES

Fuel Prices Hiked Again for Third Consecutive Day; Petrol, Diesel Near ₹1/L Increase

23 May 2026
BJP National President Nitin Nabin to Visit Bengaluru on May 23: B.Y. Vijayendra BJP National President Nitin Nabin to Visit Bengaluru on May 23: B.Y. Vijayendra
  • POLITICS

BJP National President Nitin Nabin to Visit Bengaluru on May 23: B.Y. Vijayendra

21 May 2026
Pramod Muthalik Claims ‘Love Jihad’ Growing Like a Virus, Announces Trishul Deeksha Event in Hubballi Pramod Muthalik Claims ‘Love Jihad’ Growing Like a Virus, Announces Trishul Deeksha Event in Hubballi
  • CITY UPDATES

Pramod Muthalik Claims ‘Love Jihad’ Growing Like a Virus, Announces Trishul Deeksha Event in Hubballi

21 May 2026
Air India Flight Makes Emergency Landing at Bengaluru Airport After Technical Snag Air India Flight Makes Emergency Landing at Bengaluru Airport After Technical Snag
  • POLITICS

Air India Flight Makes Emergency Landing at Bengaluru Airport After Technical Snag

21 May 2026

You may have missed

International Cricket Stadium in Bengaluru Will Be Congress Government’s Major Gift to the City: D.K. Shivakumar
  • Bengaluru
  • SPORTS

International Cricket Stadium in Bengaluru Will Be Congress Government’s Major Gift to the City: D.K. Shivakumar

Satya Prakash Chaubey 23 May 2026
CM Siddaramaiah Lays Foundation Stone for International Cricket Stadium at Suryanagar
  • Bengaluru
  • SPORTS

CM Siddaramaiah Lays Foundation Stone for International Cricket Stadium at Suryanagar

Satya Prakash Chaubey 23 May 2026
Fuel Prices Hiked Again for Third Consecutive Day; Petrol, Diesel Near ₹1/L Increase
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES

Fuel Prices Hiked Again for Third Consecutive Day; Petrol, Diesel Near ₹1/L Increase

Satya Prakash Chaubey 23 May 2026
BJP National President Nitin Nabin to Visit Bengaluru on May 23: B.Y. Vijayendra
  • POLITICS

BJP National President Nitin Nabin to Visit Bengaluru on May 23: B.Y. Vijayendra

Satya Prakash Chaubey 21 May 2026

About us

The Bengaluru Live is one of the local digital media house which is publishing news in English and in Kannada language. We are also one of the largest local news providers on the internet through our news websites.

Useful Links

  • Advertise with us
  • Contact us
  • Privacy Policy

Recent News

  • International Cricket Stadium in Bengaluru Will Be Congress Government’s Major Gift to the City: D.K. Shivakumar
  • CM Siddaramaiah Lays Foundation Stone for International Cricket Stadium at Suryanagar
  • Fuel Prices Hiked Again for Third Consecutive Day; Petrol, Diesel Near ₹1/L Increase
  • BJP National President Nitin Nabin to Visit Bengaluru on May 23: B.Y. Vijayendra
©Copyright 2025 The Bengaluru Live All rights reserved. | MoreNews by AF themes.