10 new Covid-19 positives; 174 primary contacts
1-km area in Hongasandra sealed; more positive cases may emerge
A locality in Hongasandra village is now completely sealed after 10 Covid-19 positive cases were reported in south-east Bengaluru, creating panic among the local residents.
As per information shared by officials, patient 419, who is said to be a native of Bihar and is staying at Hongasandra village, is the prime person through whom the virus spread to 9 other primary contacts.
“Patient 419 was said to be working with a scrap merchant and there are around 174 primary contacts of this person. Now all of them are suspect cases,” said an official on condition of anonymity.
The primary contacts have been quarantined at the CV Raman Nagar hospital and other hospitals while reports are awaited.
Another source said patient 419 had come to Bengaluru around 3 months back. Along with him, a bunch of people had also arrived in search of a livelihood and were staying in a shed in Hongasandra village.
Sources said BBMP has been distributing among them daily milk packets and ration kits for the past several days and it is said that all the primary 174 contacts are in constant touch with patient 419.
BWSSB chairman Tushar Girinath also reviewed the situation. The civic officials under the leadership of the special commissioner, IAS officer Lokesh another IAS officer Anbu Kumar, did a recce of Hongasandra village and took stock of the situation. He also supervised the disinfection of the area.
Another official said, “Patient 419 was suffering from fever for the past several days. He got treatment in a private clinic but on Wednesday, when he was suffering from severe breathing problems, he was shifted to a government hospital where he was found to be Covid-19 positive. He is also infected with SARI.”
300 houses sealed: MLA
Speaking on the Hongasandra development, Bommanahalli MLA Satish Reddy said, “As per my information, all the people from Bihar were working on the Metro construction. Due to the lockdown, they were staying in a temporary shed. As per the police, 4 persons were working in scrap shop. The entire area is sealed and the contacts have been quarantined.”
Reddy said as many as 300 houses in the locality had been completely sealed. Directions have been given to each individual to not step out and BBMP officials have been tasked with providing essential services at the doorstep.
Details of other cases:
As per the health bulletin, apart from the Hongasandra cases, the other positive cases are from Vijayapura (2), Dakshina Kannada (1), and Dharwad and Mandya (2 each).
1. Patient 428: 32-year-old male from Vijayapura and a contact P-221
2. Patient 429: 25-year-old female from Vijayapura, contact under tracing
3. Patient 430: 30-year-old female from Hubli, Dharwad and a contact of P-236
4. Patient 431: 13-year-old female from Hubli, Dharwad and a contact of P-236
5. Patient 432: 78-year- old female from Bantwala, Dakshina Kannada and a contact of P-390
6. Patient 433: 30-year-old male from Bengaluru Urban and a contact of P-419
7. Patient 434: 30-year-old male from Bengaluru Urban and a contact of P-419
8. Patient 435: 22-year-old male from Bengaluru Urban and a contact of P-419
9. Patient 436: 40-year-old male from Bengaluru Urban and a contact of P-419
10. Patient 437: 30-year-old male from Bengaluru Urban and a contact of P-419
11. Patient 438: 25-year-old male from Bengaluru Urban and a contact of P-419
12. Patient 439: 37-year-old male from Bengaluru Urban and a contact of P-419
13. Patient 440: 43-year-old male from Bengaluru Urban and a contact of P-419
14. Patient 441: 24+year-old male from Bengaluru Urban and a contact of P-419
15. Patient 442: 47-year-old male from Mandya and a contact of P-171 and P-371
16. Patient 443: 28-year-old female from Malavalli, Mandya and a contact of P-179