Skip to content
The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

Bengaluru’s Leading News Portal

bmc-ad
Primary Menu
  • HOME
  • Bengaluru
  • Karnataka
  • POLITICS
  • CRIME
  • Delhi
  • Kannada News
  • Hindi News
  • MORE NEWS
    • Supreme Court
    • CITY UPDATES
    • PM
    • SPORTS
    • STATE
    • EDUCATION
    • ENTERTAINMENT
    • HEALTH
    • Real Estate
    • SPORTS
    • CORONA
    • MOBILITY/TRANSPORT
    • Horoscope
  • Home
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Drain deaths in east Delhi: HC to hear plea on Aug 5
  • CITY UPDATES
  • STATE

Drain deaths in east Delhi: HC to hear plea on Aug 5

2 August 2024 2 minutes read
0
📘 Read this story in Kannada

New Delhi, Aug 2 (PTI) The Delhi High Court on Friday said it would hear on August 5 a plea seeking action against the contractor and officials of DDA for their alleged negligence leading to the death of a woman and her three-year-old son after falling into a waterlogged drain here on July 31.

The petition was mentioned for urgent hearing before a bench of Acting Chief Justice Manmohan and Justice Tushar Rao Gedela which declined the request to list it during the day, and said it would come up on Monday.

The deceased — 22-year-old Tanuja and her son Priyansh — had gone to a weekly market in east Delhi’s Ghazipur area on July 31 when they fell into a waterlogged drain and drowned.

The incident occurred around 8 pm near the Khoda Colony area, where the roadside drain was under construction. When their bodies were brought out of the water, the woman still had her arms wrapped around the toddler, the police had said.

They drowned in a half-open under-construction drain in a waterlogged street as heavy rains lashed Delhi-NCR on July 31 evening.

They were taken to the Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital, where doctors declared them dead, a police officer had said.

The petition has arrayed the Delhi Development Authority (DDA), Lieutenant Governor of Delhi, Delhi Police and Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs as parties.

The petition filed by Jhunnu Lal Srivastava, a resident of Mayur Vihar Phase 3, sought direction to the authorities to fix accountability of the erring contractor and officials of the DDA allegedly responsible for the negligence leading to the tragic incident.

The plea also sought compensation for the family of the two victims.

“Issue directions to the respondents to frame and adopt policies to address and mitigate the mayhem of flood-like situation in Delhi for rainfall and further to cover all open drains in Delhi with immediate effect and with proper signage educating the public to stay away from drains,” the plea said.

It also sought to direct the authorities to conduct a comprehensive audit of all ongoing drain construction projects in Delhi and ensure proper safety measures are in place, including barricades, warning signs and adequate lighting.

The plea sought to direct the police to lodge an FIR and initiate investigation into the incident that led to the death of the woman and her son. PTI SKV SKV DV DV

About the Author

View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: MCD to set up four libraries in name of UPSC aspirants who died last month
Next: In Goa village shop, American discovers content for his Insta story

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Stories

Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
Karnataka Postal Circle Provides Doorstep Aadhaar Update Service to 87-Year-Old Woman in Altadi Village
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Karnataka

Karnataka Postal Circle Provides Doorstep Aadhaar Update Service to 87-Year-Old Woman in Altadi Village

The Bengaluru Live 19 August 2026

Latest Post

Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers
  • Government
  • Bengaluru
  • EDUCATION

Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers

20 August 2026
Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh

20 August 2026
Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State

20 August 2026
KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George
  • Government
  • Bengaluru

KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George

19 August 2026
Karnataka FDA Busts Unlicensed Drug Repacking Unit Near Bidadi, Seizes ₹4.91 Crore Stock HQEaQ_GaAAAWIOr
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • HEALTH

Karnataka FDA Busts Unlicensed Drug Repacking Unit Near Bidadi, Seizes ₹4.91 Crore Stock

19 August 2026
Former Karnataka Education Minister B.C. Nagesh Dies at 65 in Bengaluru Former Karnataka Education Minister B.C. Nagesh Dies at 65 in Bengaluru
  • POLITICS

Former Karnataka Education Minister B.C. Nagesh Dies at 65 in Bengaluru

19 August 2026

You may have missed

Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers
  • Government
  • Bengaluru
  • EDUCATION

Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George
  • Government
  • Bengaluru

KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George

The Bengaluru Live 19 August 2026

About us

The Bengaluru Live is one of the local digital media house which is publishing news in English and in Kannada language. We are also one of the largest local news providers on the internet through our news websites.

Useful Links

  • Advertise with us
  • Contact us
  • Privacy Policy

Recent News

  • Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers
  • Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh
  • Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State
  • KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George
©Copyright 2026 The Bengaluru Live All rights reserved. | MoreNews by AF themes.