Skip to content
The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

Bengaluru’s Leading News Portal

bmc-ad
Primary Menu
  • HOME
  • Bengaluru
  • Karnataka
  • POLITICS
  • CRIME
  • Delhi
  • Kannada News
  • Hindi News
  • MORE NEWS
    • Supreme Court
    • CITY UPDATES
    • PM
    • SPORTS
    • STATE
    • EDUCATION
    • ENTERTAINMENT
    • HEALTH
    • Real Estate
    • SPORTS
    • CORONA
    • MOBILITY/TRANSPORT
    • Horoscope
  • Home
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Bangladesh’s ousted PM Hasina faces murder charges; Plaintiff receives death threat
  • CITY UPDATES
  • STATE

Bangladesh’s ousted PM Hasina faces murder charges; Plaintiff receives death threat

13 August 2024 4 minutes read
0
📘 Read this story in Kannada

Dhaka, Aug 13 (PTI) Bangladesh’s deposed prime minister Sheikh Hasina and six others, including two senior ministers of her cabinet and the sacked police chief, would face trial on murder charges, court officials said on Tuesday.

The murder case filed against 76-year-old Hasina is the first so far against her since she resigned and fled to India on August 5. She and six others over the death of a grocery shop owner during last month’s violent clashes that led to the fall of her government.

“In line with a case filed by a resident of (Dhaka’s) Mohammadpur area, Metropolitan Magistrate Rajesh Chowdhury has asked police to register it as an FIR,” a court official said.

He said that six others who were named in the case are: Awami League general secretary and former road transport minister Obaidul Quader, home minister Asaduzzaman Khan and sacked inspector general of police (IGP) Abdullah Al Mamun, Dhaka’s police commissioner Habibur Rahman, Additional IGP Harun-or-Rashid and additional joint commissioner Biplab Kumar.

While Hasina fled to India, the two ministers are believed to have secretly left the country hours before her resignation on August 5 while the whereabouts of the police officers remained unknown to the media.

According to court officials, the magistrate asked Mohammadpur police station to record the case. A police official preferring anonymity said it was unclear which agency would be tasked to investigate the case.

Home Affairs Adviser Brigadier General (retd.) Sakhawat Hossain speculated that 500 or more protestors and policemen were killed during the three weeks of violence which originated from a movement by Students Against Discrimination.

The case against Hasina and six others was lodged on charges of killing a grocery shop owner in the Mohammadpur area in police firing on July 19 during a street march in support of the students’ movement for reforms in a controversial quota system for government jobs.

The case was filed by a well-wisher of the grocery store owner Abu Sayed.

Meanwhile, Amir Hamza Shatil, who filed a murder case against Hasina and six others, has received a death threat over the phone, The Dhaka Tribune newspaper reported.

Shortly after filing the case, a phone call was made to Shatil from France around 2:30pm on Tuesday, the report said.

Showing the mobile number to the reporters, he said: “I got a call from a number in France and asked if I know the consequences of filing a case against Sheikh Hasina.” Where is my house, whether I can stay there, whether I have received any money in this case, how far I will go with this case, whether I can survive.” Over 230 people were killed in Bangladesh in the incidents of violence that erupted across the country following the fall of the Hasina government on August 5, taking the death toll to 560 since the anti-quota protests first started in mid-July.

An interim government was formed after the fall of the Hasina-led government, and its Chief Adviser, 84-year-old Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus, announced the portfolios of his 16-member council of advisors last week.

On Monday, seven political parties, including the Awami League’s arch-rival Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP), met Yunus separately and said the interim government could take the time necessary to create a conducive environment for holding free and fair elections, The Daily Star newspaper reported.

“We have given this interim government the time required to create a proper environment for holding an election,” the report quoted BNP Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir.

He said they did not discuss the election and that the BNP did not mention any specific time frame for the next election.

The BNP was extending its full support to all the activities of the interim government, he said.

Quoting sources, the report said that the party urged the Yunus to have all the cases against its leaders, including those against party chairperson Khaleda Zia and acting chairman Tarique Rahman, withdrawn.

Former prime minister Zia, 79, was released from jail after Hasina’s ouster. She was sentenced to 17 years in prison for graft in 2018. PTI AR/GRS ZH AKJ AKJ

About the Author

View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: IMA delegation meets Nadda, demands hospitals be declared safe zones
Next: Conversion Act there to ensure religious freedom for all, says Allahabad HC, rejects man’s bail

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Stories

Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
Karnataka Postal Circle Provides Doorstep Aadhaar Update Service to 87-Year-Old Woman in Altadi Village
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Karnataka

Karnataka Postal Circle Provides Doorstep Aadhaar Update Service to 87-Year-Old Woman in Altadi Village

The Bengaluru Live 19 August 2026

Latest Post

Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers
  • Government
  • Bengaluru
  • EDUCATION

Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers

20 August 2026
Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh

20 August 2026
Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State

20 August 2026
KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George
  • Government
  • Bengaluru

KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George

19 August 2026
Karnataka FDA Busts Unlicensed Drug Repacking Unit Near Bidadi, Seizes ₹4.91 Crore Stock HQEaQ_GaAAAWIOr
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • HEALTH

Karnataka FDA Busts Unlicensed Drug Repacking Unit Near Bidadi, Seizes ₹4.91 Crore Stock

19 August 2026
Former Karnataka Education Minister B.C. Nagesh Dies at 65 in Bengaluru Former Karnataka Education Minister B.C. Nagesh Dies at 65 in Bengaluru
  • POLITICS

Former Karnataka Education Minister B.C. Nagesh Dies at 65 in Bengaluru

19 August 2026

You may have missed

Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers
  • Government
  • Bengaluru
  • EDUCATION

Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State

The Bengaluru Live 20 August 2026
KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George
  • Government
  • Bengaluru

KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George

The Bengaluru Live 19 August 2026

About us

The Bengaluru Live is one of the local digital media house which is publishing news in English and in Kannada language. We are also one of the largest local news providers on the internet through our news websites.

Useful Links

  • Advertise with us
  • Contact us
  • Privacy Policy

Recent News

  • Karnataka Minister Madhu Bangarappa Assures Support for Higher Minimum Wages for Midday Meal Workers
  • Udupi Food Safety Officials Seize 10,890 Kg Bananas Allegedly Ripened Using Chemicals, Stock Worth ₹8.71 Lakh
  • Karnataka Forms SIT to Probe Bidadi Drug Repacking Case, Related Cases Across State
  • KSTDC Mayura Hotel at Bal Bhavan to Get ₹2 Crore Upgrade; Bengaluru Government Museum Renovation in Six Months: K.J. George
©Copyright 2026 The Bengaluru Live All rights reserved. | MoreNews by AF themes.