Skip to content
The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

Bengaluru’s Leading News Portal

bmc-ad
Primary Menu
  • HOME
  • Bengaluru
  • Karnataka
  • POLITICS
  • CRIME
  • Delhi
  • Kannada News
  • Hindi News
  • MORE NEWS
    • Supreme Court
    • CITY UPDATES
    • PM
    • SPORTS
    • STATE
    • EDUCATION
    • ENTERTAINMENT
    • HEALTH
    • Real Estate
    • SPORTS
    • CORONA
    • MOBILITY/TRANSPORT
    • Horoscope
  • Home
  • POLITICS
  • “We will safeguard interests of state”: Deputy CM Shivakumar on Cauvery water dispute
  • POLITICS

“We will safeguard interests of state”: Deputy CM Shivakumar on Cauvery water dispute

Satya Prakash Chaubey 29 August 2023 3 minutes read
0
"We will safeguard interests of state": Deputy CM Shivakumar on Cauvery water dispute

"We will safeguard interests of state": Deputy CM Shivakumar on Cauvery water dispute

📘 Read this story in Kannada

BENGALURU:

The Cauvery water issue has been a controversial issue between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu for decades and they have been locked in a battle over the sharing of water from the Cauvery River, which is a major source of irrigation and drinking water for millions of people in the region.

Karnataka Chief Minister DK Shivakumar on Tuesday said the Supreme Court will announce its verdict soon on the Cauvery water dispute and said they will “safeguard the interests” of the state. Speaking to reporters in Mysuru, Shivakumar said, “Let the hearing finish. We will put forth our arguments and we will safeguard the interests of the state.”

“Let the Supreme Court verdict come. Then I will react,” he added. This comes a day after the Cauvery Water Regulation Committee (CWRC) passed an interim order asking Karnataka to release 5,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu daily for the next 15 days till September 2.

The Supreme Court on Friday refrained from passing any order on the Tamil Nadu government’s plea on the release of Cauvery water, saying it doesn’t possess any expertise on this issue and sought a report from the Cauvery Water Management Authority (CWMA) on the quantum of release made by Karnataka. Tamil Nadu government has approached the top court seeking direction to Karnataka to release 24,000 cusecs of water daily per day from the reservoirs in Karnataka.

Karnataka government on Thursday filed an affidavit opposing Tamil Nadu’s application saying that the application is based on an assumption that this year is the normal rainwater year. The government said that Tamil Nadu’s application that Karnataka to ensure the release of 36.76 TMC (thousand million cubic feet) stipulated for September 2023 has no legal basis since the said quantity is stipulated in a normal water year and this water year, being a distressed water year so far, it is not applicable.

The application is based on an “erroneous assumption” that this year is the normal rainwater year, even though, rainfall is lesser by 25 per cent and inflow into four reservoirs in Karnataka was lesser by 42.5 per cent up to August 9 as recorded by the Cauvery Water Management Authority, Karnataka government stated in its affidavit. On Monday Karnataka CM Siddaramiah instructed the Water Resources Department officials to prioritise the welfare of Karnataka farmers from the Cauvery water.

“We cannot give 83 Tmcft of water as it will empty out reservoirs and cause problems for drinking water,” he said. The Cauvery water issue has been a controversial issue between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu for decades and they have been locked in a battle over the sharing of water from the Cauvery River, which is a major source of irrigation and drinking water for millions of people in the region.

The Centre formed the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal (CWDT) on June 2, 1990, to adjudicate disputes between Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka and Puducherry with respect to the water-sharing capacities. The Cauvery is an interstate basin that originates in Karnataka and passes through Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry before draining into the Bay of Bengal.

The total watershed of the Cauvery basin is 81,155 sq km, of which the river’s catchment area is about 34,273 sq km in Karnataka, 2,866 sq km in Kerala and the remaining 44,016 sq km in Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry. (ANI)

About the Author

Satya Prakash Chaubey

Editor

View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: 15-year-old student commits suicide after woman who had loaned Rs 750 demands Rs 3,000
Next: Metro authorities dismantle Anjaneya temple overnight

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Stories

Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar
  • POLITICS

Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar

The Bengaluru Live 21 August 2026
Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings
  • POLITICS

Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings

The Bengaluru Live 21 August 2026
Former Karnataka Education Minister B.C. Nagesh Dies at 65 in Bengaluru
  • POLITICS

Former Karnataka Education Minister B.C. Nagesh Dies at 65 in Bengaluru

The Bengaluru Live 19 August 2026

Latest Post

Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages

21 August 2026
Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar
  • POLITICS

Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar

21 August 2026
Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools
  • Government
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools

21 August 2026
Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings
  • POLITICS

Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings

21 August 2026
Karnataka to Prepare Coastal-Malnad Tourism Policy Draft by September 7: K.J. George Karnataka to Prepare Coastal-Malnad Tourism Policy Draft by September 7: K.J. George
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Government

Karnataka to Prepare Coastal-Malnad Tourism Policy Draft by September 7: K.J. George

21 August 2026
Karnataka, ADB Sign ₹1,750 Crore Funding Agreement to Develop 500 Government Schools as KPS by 2029-30 Karnataka, ADB Sign ₹1,750 Crore Funding Agreement to Develop 500 Government Schools as KPS by 2029-30
  • EDUCATION
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka, ADB Sign ₹1,750 Crore Funding Agreement to Develop 500 Government Schools as KPS by 2029-30

21 August 2026

You may have missed

Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages

Satya Prakash Chaubey 21 August 2026
Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar
  • POLITICS

Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar

The Bengaluru Live 21 August 2026
Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools
  • Government
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools

The Bengaluru Live 21 August 2026
Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings
  • POLITICS

Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings

The Bengaluru Live 21 August 2026

About us

The Bengaluru Live is one of the local digital media house which is publishing news in English and in Kannada language. We are also one of the largest local news providers on the internet through our news websites.

Useful Links

  • Advertise with us
  • Contact us
  • Privacy Policy

Recent News

  • Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages
  • Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar
  • Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools
  • Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings
©Copyright 2026 The Bengaluru Live All rights reserved. | MoreNews by AF themes.