Skip to content
The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

Bengaluru’s Leading News Portal

bmc-ad
Primary Menu
  • HOME
  • Bengaluru
  • Karnataka
  • POLITICS
  • CRIME
  • Delhi
  • Kannada News
  • Hindi News
  • MORE NEWS
    • Supreme Court
    • CITY UPDATES
    • PM
    • SPORTS
    • STATE
    • EDUCATION
    • ENTERTAINMENT
    • HEALTH
    • Real Estate
    • SPORTS
    • CORONA
    • MOBILITY/TRANSPORT
    • Horoscope
  • Home
  • STATE
  • Trump signs executive order to shut down Dept of Education, says essential programs will be preserved
  • STATE

Trump signs executive order to shut down Dept of Education, says essential programs will be preserved

Atul Chaturvedi 21 March 2025 6 minutes read
0
📘 Read this story in Kannada

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump on Thursday (local time) signed an executive order to begin the process of shutting down the Department of Education, stating that while essential programs like Pell Grants and Title I funding for children with disabilities would be preserved and reassigned to other agencies, the overall department had failed to improve education despite massive spending increases over the past four decades.

“Today we take a very historic action that was 45 years in the making. I will sign an executive order to begin eliminating the Federal Department of Education once in for all. Democrats know it’s right. I hope they’re going to be voting for it because ultimately it may come before them. We have to get our children educated. We’re not doing well with the education in this country and we haven’t for a long time. It’s been amazing how popular this has been- everybody says it- Republicans and Democrats have said it they’re all saying it also with us are some terrific”, he said.

https://t.co/BvPrAPzr84

— The White House (@WhiteHouse) March 20, 2025

President Trump is improving education outcomes by empowering parents, states, and communities. 🇺🇸

“We’re going to be returning education very simply BACK TO THE STATES where it belongs.” – @POTUS pic.twitter.com/PpBx0uNpNe

— The White House (@WhiteHouse) March 20, 2025

Trump claimed that when former US President Jimmy Carter created the Department of Education, it was opposed by his cabinet and the Republicans.

“When President Carter created the federal education department in 1979, it was opposed by members of his cabinet as well as the American Federation of Teachers the New York Times editorial board and the famed Democrat Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan”, he said.

Trump said that historically, the opposition makes sense. As per the White House, the US Department of Education has spent $3 plus trillion since 1979. Since then, per-pupil spending has increased by more than 245 per cent — with virtually nothing to show for it.

The U.S. Department of Education has spent $3+ trillion since 1979. Since then, per-pupil spending has increased by more than 245% — with virtually nothing to show for it.

There has been basically no measurable improvement in student achievement:

— Math and reading scores for…

— Rapid Response 47 (@RapidResponse47) March 20, 2025

White House data shows that Math and reading scores for 13-year-olds are at the lowest level in decades. Six in ten fourth graders and nearly three-quarters of eighth graders are not proficient in math. Seven in ten fourth and eighth graders are not proficient in reading, while 40 per cent of fourth-grade students don’t even meet basic reading levels. Standardized test scores have remained flat for decades. US students rank 28 out of 37 OECD member countries in math.

“History has proven them right. After 45 years the United States spends more money on education by far than any other country and spends likewise by far more money per pupil than any country and it’s not even close but yet we rank near the bottom of the list in terms of success. We are at the bottom of the list and we’ve been there for a long time. 70 per cent of eighth graders are not proficient in either reading or math. 40 per cent of fourth graders lack even basic reading skills. Our Public elementary and middle schools score worse in reading today than when the department opened by a lot,” he said.

“In Baltimore, 40% of the high schools have zero students who can do basic mathematics- not even the very simplest of mathematics. They’re talking about like adding a few numbers together,” he added. Trump said that despite these failures, the department’s spending boomed by 600 per cent in a short while. “Despite these breathtaking failures the Department’s discretionary budget has exploded by 600 per cent in a very short period,” he said

Trump said that he was laying off the staff by half and defunding the department. “My administration has initiated a reduction in force. We’ve cut the number of bureaucrats in half,” he said. Trump said that the funds used to support students with disabilities and scholarships will be preserved and these duties will be provided to other institutions.

“The Department’s useful functions — Pell Grants, Title One funding resources for children with disabilities and special needs will be preserved. Pell Grant is supposed to be a very good program, Title One funding and resources for children with special disabilities and special needs- are going to be preserved in full and redistributed to various other agencies and departments that will take very good care of them”, he said.

“But beyond these core necessities, my administration will take all lawful steps to shut down the department as quickly as possible- it’s doing us no good. We want to return our students to the States. We want education to come back to the States and they’re going to do a phenomenal job. It’s a commonsense thing to do and it’s going to work,” he said.

He said under a new system, sans the Education Department, schools could compete with countries in Europe and China, which he said were out-competing the US.

“If you look at Denmark, Norway, Sweden- I give them a lot of credit. China’s the top 10 so we can’t now say that bigness is making it impossible to educate because China is very big but you have countries that do a very good job in education. I think they have a chance to do well but we’re going to be returning education very simply back to the states where it belongs. Governors and others in the state want it so badly they want to take their children back and teach their children individually. Probably the cost will be half and the education will be maybe many times better so we look forward to this,” he said.

Towards, the end, Trump made what he called a ‘personal statement’, where he said that his administration would ‘take care’ of all the teachers, even those who opposed this order.

“I want to just make one little personal statement- teachers to me are among the most important people in this country and we’re going to take care of our teachers. I don’t care if they’re in the union or not. That doesn’t matter but we’re going to take care of our teachers. I believe the states will take better care of them,” he said, adding, “We want to have our children well educated. we want them to love going to school.” (ANI)

About the Author

Atul Chaturvedi

Administrator

Atul Chaturvedi boasts over 25 years of experience in the media industry, having held positions at esteemed organizations such as Republic TV, Times Network's Mirror Now News Channel, Times of India, Bangalore Mirror, Rajasthan Patrika Hindi newspaper, and Sakal newspaper.

View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: Star-studded para-badminton line-up inspires crowd as Khelo India Para Games 2025 begins
Next: Differently-abled woman gang-raped by husband, six others in Tripura; one arrested

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Stories

Karnataka Apartment Bill Proposes One Association Per Project, 75% Consent Rule for Redevelopment
  • STATE
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES

Karnataka Apartment Bill Proposes One Association Per Project, 75% Consent Rule for Redevelopment

Atul Chaturvedi 21 August 2026
NTA Revamps Examination Team, Removes 600 Experts; Four-Tier Question Paper Checks Planned
  • EDUCATION
  • STATE

NTA Revamps Examination Team, Removes 600 Experts; Four-Tier Question Paper Checks Planned

The Bengaluru Live 18 August 2026
NTA Overhaul: Over 50 Staff Removed, New Leadership Posts Created After Recent Exam Issues
  • Government
  • EDUCATION
  • STATE

NTA Overhaul: Over 50 Staff Removed, New Leadership Posts Created After Recent Exam Issues

Satya Prakash Chaubey 17 August 2026

Latest Post

Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages

21 August 2026
Karnataka Cabinet Clears Premature Release of 28 Life Convicts on Good Conduct; 29 Eligible in Total Parappana Agrahara Bangalore Central Jail
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • Government

Karnataka Cabinet Clears Premature Release of 28 Life Convicts on Good Conduct; 29 Eligible in Total

21 August 2026
Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar
  • POLITICS

Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar

21 August 2026
Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools
  • Government
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools

21 August 2026
Varamahalakshmi Festival Celebrated Across Bengaluru; Temples, Homes Decked Up for Special Worship Varamahalakshmi Festival Celebrated Across Bengaluru; Temples, Homes Decked Up for Special Worship
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES

Varamahalakshmi Festival Celebrated Across Bengaluru; Temples, Homes Decked Up for Special Worship

21 August 2026
Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings
  • POLITICS

Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings

21 August 2026

You may have missed

Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages

Satya Prakash Chaubey 21 August 2026
Parappana Agrahara Bangalore Central Jail
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • Government

Karnataka Cabinet Clears Premature Release of 28 Life Convicts on Good Conduct; 29 Eligible in Total

Satya Prakash Chaubey 21 August 2026
Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar
  • POLITICS

Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar

The Bengaluru Live 21 August 2026
Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools
  • Government
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools

The Bengaluru Live 21 August 2026

About us

The Bengaluru Live is one of the local digital media house which is publishing news in English and in Kannada language. We are also one of the largest local news providers on the internet through our news websites.

Useful Links

  • Advertise with us
  • Contact us
  • Privacy Policy

Recent News

  • Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages
  • Karnataka Cabinet Clears Premature Release of 28 Life Convicts on Good Conduct; 29 Eligible in Total
  • Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar
  • Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools
©Copyright 2026 The Bengaluru Live All rights reserved. | MoreNews by AF themes.