Skip to content
The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

Bengaluru’s Leading News Portal

bmc-ad
Primary Menu
  • HOME
  • Bengaluru
  • Karnataka
  • POLITICS
  • CRIME
  • Delhi
  • Kannada News
  • Hindi News
  • MORE NEWS
    • Supreme Court
    • CITY UPDATES
    • PM
    • SPORTS
    • STATE
    • EDUCATION
    • ENTERTAINMENT
    • HEALTH
    • Real Estate
    • SPORTS
    • CORONA
    • MOBILITY/TRANSPORT
    • Horoscope
  • Home
  • CITY UPDATES
  • SC to consider submission for urgent hearing of plea on Bengaluru civic body polls
  • CITY UPDATES

SC to consider submission for urgent hearing of plea on Bengaluru civic body polls

The Bengaluru Live 17 February 2022 3 minutes read
0
Supreme Court

Supreme Court rejects plea for reverting to ballots in elections

đŸ“˜ Read this story in Kannada

NEW DELHI:

The Supreme Court on Thursday said it would look into submissions for urgent hearing of the plea related to conducting polls for the ‘Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike’ (BBMP), whose term ended on September 10, 2020.

A bench headed by Chief Justice N V Ramana was told by senior advocate Meenakshi Arora, appearing for some of the candidates for the civic body polls, that elections have not taken place despite the fact that the tenure of the civic body ended in September 2020.

The senior lawyer said the poll process has been stayed by an order of the apex court.

”There are enough elections happening in the country,” the bench, also comprising justices A S Bopanna and Hima Kohli, said.

When Arora said the issue pertained to the civic poll of a body whose tenure has ended, the bench said, ”You have mentioned. Leave it to us. We will see.” Earlier, the Karnataka government had sought urgent hearing of its pending plea against a high court verdict asking the State Election Commission (SEC) to hold elections in 198 wards of the BBMP.

The bench was told that the five-year term of the civic body expired in 2020, and there was an urgency as the poll process had been stayed by a bench headed by the then CJI S A Bobde (since retired).

The high court verdict of December 4, 2020 had asked the SEC to hold the election within six weeks.

The state government had moved the top court, challenging the high court order which directed the BBMP polls as per a delimitation notification of September 23, 2020, instead of the 243 seats as mentioned in the Karnataka Municipal Corporation Third Amendment Act (2020).

The government said the high court judgment had nullified the unanimous will of the state legislature, which is made up of the representatives of the people and had amended the Karnataka Municipal Corporations Act of 1976 to increase the number of wards in Bengaluru to 243.

The state government said the high court had handicapped efforts to “improve urban governance in one of the largest and most cosmopolitan cities in India”.

The increase in the number of wards was necessitated by the fact that the population and demographics of the city have undergone vast changes since 2009 when the number of wards was increased to 198, the plea said.

After the five-year tenure of the incumbent BBMP Council expired in September last year, the state government appointed a senior IAS officer as administrator of the civic body. PTI

About the Author

The Bengaluru Live

Administrator

View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: COVID: Karnataka universities urged to put off degree exams by one month
Next: No need for negative RT-PCR report to enter state from Kerala & Goa: Karnataka govt

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Stories

Scan a QR Code to Flag Unsafe Food, Expired Drugs: Karnataka Launches Digital Complaint System
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Scan a QR Code to Flag Unsafe Food, Expired Drugs: Karnataka Launches Digital Complaint System

Atul Chaturvedi 17 August 2026
Bengaluru East City Corporation Orders 7-Day Inspection Drive at PGs, Hotels, Restaurants and Hostels
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Bengaluru

Bengaluru East City Corporation Orders 7-Day Inspection Drive at PGs, Hotels, Restaurants and Hostels

The Bengaluru Live 16 August 2026
Around 20 Tonnes of Waste Cleared After Bengaluru’s ‘Freedom Habba’ at Vidhana Soudha
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES

Around 20 Tonnes of Waste Cleared After Bengaluru’s ‘Freedom Habba’ at Vidhana Soudha

The Bengaluru Live 16 August 2026

Latest Post

Scan a QR Code to Flag Unsafe Food, Expired Drugs: Karnataka Launches Digital Complaint System Scan a QR Code to Flag Unsafe Food, Expired Drugs: Karnataka Launches Digital Complaint System
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Scan a QR Code to Flag Unsafe Food, Expired Drugs: Karnataka Launches Digital Complaint System

17 August 2026
JD(S) Leader Gottigere Manjanna Arrested for Allegedly Assaulting Bengaluru Traffic Constable JD(S) Leader Gottigere Manjanna Arrested for Allegedly Assaulting Bengaluru Traffic Constable
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • POLITICS

JD(S) Leader Gottigere Manjanna Arrested for Allegedly Assaulting Bengaluru Traffic Constable

17 August 2026
Bengaluru East City Corporation Orders 7-Day Inspection Drive at PGs, Hotels, Restaurants and Hostels Bengaluru East City Corporation Orders 7-Day Inspection Drive at PGs, Hotels, Restaurants and Hostels
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Bengaluru

Bengaluru East City Corporation Orders 7-Day Inspection Drive at PGs, Hotels, Restaurants and Hostels

16 August 2026
Around 20 Tonnes of Waste Cleared After Bengaluru’s ‘Freedom Habba’ at Vidhana Soudha Around 20 Tonnes of Waste Cleared After Bengaluru’s ‘Freedom Habba’ at Vidhana Soudha
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES

Around 20 Tonnes of Waste Cleared After Bengaluru’s ‘Freedom Habba’ at Vidhana Soudha

16 August 2026
H D Kumaraswamy Seeks Cancellation of NICE Framework Agreement, Flags Land and Toll Road Violations in BMICP H D Kumaraswamy Seeks Cancellation of NICE Framework Agreement, Flags Land and Toll Road Violations in BMICP
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • POLITICS

H D Kumaraswamy Seeks Cancellation of NICE Framework Agreement, Flags Land and Toll Road Violations in BMICP

16 August 2026
Bengaluru Police Commissionerate to Be Split Into Five Units, Traffic Coordination to Be Strengthened: D.K. Shivakumar Bengaluru Police Commissionerate to Be Split Into Five Units, Traffic Coordination to Be Strengthened: D.K. Shivakumar
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES

Bengaluru Police Commissionerate to Be Split Into Five Units, Traffic Coordination to Be Strengthened: D.K. Shivakumar

15 August 2026

You may have missed

Scan a QR Code to Flag Unsafe Food, Expired Drugs: Karnataka Launches Digital Complaint System
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • HEALTH

Scan a QR Code to Flag Unsafe Food, Expired Drugs: Karnataka Launches Digital Complaint System

Atul Chaturvedi 17 August 2026
JD(S) Leader Gottigere Manjanna Arrested for Allegedly Assaulting Bengaluru Traffic Constable
  • CRIME
  • Bengaluru
  • POLITICS

JD(S) Leader Gottigere Manjanna Arrested for Allegedly Assaulting Bengaluru Traffic Constable

The Bengaluru Live 17 August 2026
Bengaluru East City Corporation Orders 7-Day Inspection Drive at PGs, Hotels, Restaurants and Hostels
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Bengaluru

Bengaluru East City Corporation Orders 7-Day Inspection Drive at PGs, Hotels, Restaurants and Hostels

The Bengaluru Live 16 August 2026
Around 20 Tonnes of Waste Cleared After Bengaluru’s ‘Freedom Habba’ at Vidhana Soudha
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES

Around 20 Tonnes of Waste Cleared After Bengaluru’s ‘Freedom Habba’ at Vidhana Soudha

The Bengaluru Live 16 August 2026

About us

The Bengaluru Live is one of the local digital media house which is publishing news in English and in Kannada language. We are also one of the largest local news providers on the internet through our news websites.

Useful Links

  • Advertise with us
  • Contact us
  • Privacy Policy

Recent News

  • Scan a QR Code to Flag Unsafe Food, Expired Drugs: Karnataka Launches Digital Complaint System
  • JD(S) Leader Gottigere Manjanna Arrested for Allegedly Assaulting Bengaluru Traffic Constable
  • Bengaluru East City Corporation Orders 7-Day Inspection Drive at PGs, Hotels, Restaurants and Hostels
  • Around 20 Tonnes of Waste Cleared After Bengaluru’s ‘Freedom Habba’ at Vidhana Soudha
©Copyright 2026 The Bengaluru Live All rights reserved. | MoreNews by AF themes.