Skip to content
The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

The Bengaluru Live | Bengaluru News, Breaking Updates

Bengaluru’s Leading News Portal

bmc-ad
Primary Menu
  • HOME
  • Bengaluru
  • Karnataka
  • POLITICS
  • CRIME
  • Delhi
  • Kannada News
  • Hindi News
  • MORE NEWS
    • Supreme Court
    • CITY UPDATES
    • PM
    • SPORTS
    • STATE
    • EDUCATION
    • ENTERTAINMENT
    • HEALTH
    • Real Estate
    • SPORTS
    • CORONA
    • MOBILITY/TRANSPORT
    • Horoscope
  • Home
  • STATE
  • ‘Only 89 appeals made for correction’: EC sources debunk Oppn charge on electoral rolls ‘manipulation’
  • STATE

‘Only 89 appeals made for correction’: EC sources debunk Oppn charge on electoral rolls ‘manipulation’

Atul Chaturvedi 17 April 2025 3 minutes read
0
📘 Read this story in Kannada

NEW DELHI: During the winter session of Parliament the Leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha, Rahul Gandhi, had called for a detailed discussion on the electoral rolls.

The Congress and its allies had claimed alleged discrepancies in the Maharashtra voter list for the 2024 assembly election and duplication of Elector Photo Identity Cards (EPIC) numbers. Prior to this Rahul Gandhi had also alleged that close to 3 million voters had been added in the electoral rolls of Maharashtra from 2019 to 2024.

The charge of incorrect or manipulated voter rolls was also labelled by the Trinamool Congress and the Aam Admi Party in Delhi.

Now, sources in the Election Commission say that the allegations were made were without due fact. According to the sources, hardly any first or second appeals were made under Section 24 of the Representation of People act, or correction of any entries in Electoral Rolls (Section 22) or Inclusion (Section 23) during the recent Special Summary Revision published on January 6-7 2025.

On 18th Jan, Rahul Gandhi said that 1 crore voters were added to Maharashtra’s electoral rolls just before the Assembly polls. On 3rd Feb, speaking in the Parliament, he claimed that the number was 70 lakh. Today, he came up with a new number of 39 lakh. Does the Leader of… pic.twitter.com/JU0mf9KG8c

— Amit Malviya (@amitmalviya) February 7, 2025

The Special Summary Revision (SSR) involves reviewing the voter list and unveiling a draft electoral roll. It is often held prior to elections and aims to uphold a just and transparent voting process by adding newly eligible voters, including those who have reached 18 years of age or changed their constituency. It also involves the elimination of duplicate and deceased voters.

According to sources just 89 appeals were recorded in Maharashtra. While there were 13,857,359 Booth Level Agents (BLAs) in the country only 89 appeals for changes in the electoral rolls were made. Therefore, there is no option but to accept the Electoral Rolls published after the completion of SSR in Jan 2025 as undisputed by all.

Sources in the EC furthe say that Section 24 of RP Act 1950 was added on September 20, 1961, much before the current Chief Election Commissioner was even born. If anyone says that Electoral Rolls on which voting has been held is not correct, they have not even cared to follow the election law as proposed by the Government in 1961 and passed by the Parliament in 1961, the sources added.

With elections due in Bihar and other states in the next few months, the opposition parties are likely to raise this issue further. But the EC, which in the past has maintained duplication of EPIC numbers does not “imply duplicate/fake voters”, has stood its ground and released data to prove its point. (ANI)

About the Author

Atul Chaturvedi

Administrator

Atul Chaturvedi boasts over 25 years of experience in the media industry, having held positions at esteemed organizations such as Republic TV, Times Network's Mirror Now News Channel, Times of India, Bangalore Mirror, Rajasthan Patrika Hindi newspaper, and Sakal newspaper.

View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: Shikhar Dhawan meets Bageshwar Dham’s Dhirendra Shastri at Mumbai gathering
Next: India poised to become trusted bridge of global connectivity through IMEC corridor: Piyush Goyal

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Stories

NTA Revamps Examination Team, Removes 600 Experts; Four-Tier Question Paper Checks Planned
  • EDUCATION
  • STATE

NTA Revamps Examination Team, Removes 600 Experts; Four-Tier Question Paper Checks Planned

The Bengaluru Live 18 August 2026
NTA Overhaul: Over 50 Staff Removed, New Leadership Posts Created After Recent Exam Issues
  • Government
  • EDUCATION
  • STATE

NTA Overhaul: Over 50 Staff Removed, New Leadership Posts Created After Recent Exam Issues

Satya Prakash Chaubey 17 August 2026
Dharwad Mishra Pedha Penalised Over Substandard Motichoor Laddoo; FSSAI Flags Excess Tartrazine
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Bengaluru
  • STATE

Dharwad Mishra Pedha Penalised Over Substandard Motichoor Laddoo; FSSAI Flags Excess Tartrazine

Satya Prakash Chaubey 13 August 2026

Latest Post

Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages

21 August 2026
Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar
  • POLITICS

Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar

21 August 2026
Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools
  • Government
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools

21 August 2026
Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings
  • POLITICS

Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings

21 August 2026
Karnataka to Prepare Coastal-Malnad Tourism Policy Draft by September 7: K.J. George Karnataka to Prepare Coastal-Malnad Tourism Policy Draft by September 7: K.J. George
  • Bengaluru
  • CITY UPDATES
  • Government

Karnataka to Prepare Coastal-Malnad Tourism Policy Draft by September 7: K.J. George

21 August 2026
Karnataka, ADB Sign ₹1,750 Crore Funding Agreement to Develop 500 Government Schools as KPS by 2029-30 Karnataka, ADB Sign ₹1,750 Crore Funding Agreement to Develop 500 Government Schools as KPS by 2029-30
  • EDUCATION
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka, ADB Sign ₹1,750 Crore Funding Agreement to Develop 500 Government Schools as KPS by 2029-30

21 August 2026

You may have missed

Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages

Satya Prakash Chaubey 21 August 2026
Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar
  • POLITICS

Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar

The Bengaluru Live 21 August 2026
Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools
  • Government
  • Bengaluru

Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools

The Bengaluru Live 21 August 2026
Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings
  • POLITICS

Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings

The Bengaluru Live 21 August 2026

About us

The Bengaluru Live is one of the local digital media house which is publishing news in English and in Kannada language. We are also one of the largest local news providers on the internet through our news websites.

Useful Links

  • Advertise with us
  • Contact us
  • Privacy Policy

Recent News

  • Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar Seeks Chartered Accountants’ Advice to Boost State Revenue, Plug Leakages
  • Give Notice, Debate Nagendra Issue in House Instead of Simply Demanding Resignation: Karnataka CM D K Shivakumar
  • Karnataka Launches KEO AI PC, Plans Initial Deployment of 1,000 Devices in Government Schools
  • Congress Stages Protest at Vidhana Soudha, Accuses BJP of Disrupting Karnataka Legislature Proceedings
©Copyright 2026 The Bengaluru Live All rights reserved. | MoreNews by AF themes.